Attendance Letters & Email
Parents/Guardians will receive written notification from the school when a student has accumulated five unexcused and ten total absences. An accumulation of five unexcused absences will result in a referral to the school division attendance officer, and, if an additional unexcused absence occurs, the attendance officer and parents/ guardians will be required to participate in the development of a plan to improve the student’s attendance.
Click on the link to send an email to the attendance office at YMS: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please report all absences to the attendance office at 898-0520 After hours, voicemail is available. A note should accompany your child upon their return to school. It is important to us that your child returns to school as quickly as possible. However, we want them to be healthy so that they are at their most capable for learning.
To comply with the Code of Virginia § 22.1-254
Students are expected to...
- attend school every day.
- be on time (unless there is illness or death in the immediate family. Doctor, dental, or personal appointments should be made on days off, half days, or after school hours when possible)
Parents are expected to...
- provide the school with a note (within 24 hours) indicating the reason(s) for the absence. Legitimate reasons for absences are: illness, death in immediate family, doctor or dental appointment (not possible to be scheduled on non-school time), and/or exceptional circumstances as determined by the building principal.
Please Note: Absences occurring on pre-determined test dates should be avoided and will only be considered excused under extreme extenuating circumstances. For any other reason, the absence is unexcused.
Virginia Department of Education and YorkCounty School Division regulations for unexcused absences are:
- 5 Unexcused Absences- An attendance letter is sent home and an attendance plan is developed
- 6 Unexcused Absences- An attendance conference will be held that includes the parent/gaurdian and appropriate school and division personnel
- 7 Unexcused Absences- The school divicsion truancy team will meet and a possible court referral or additional interventions will be made