The mission of the York County School Division (YCSD) is to engage all students in acquiring the skills and knowledge needed to make productive contributions in the world. In such unprecedented times as these, we stand firm in our commitment to engage all students in rigorous educational experiences. Student achievement and continuous student growth are the core priorities of our school division.
In response to COVID-19 and the resulting spring 2020 school closures, YCSD has worked to ensure that teaching and learning moves forward in the upcoming school year. As we return to learning this fall, the state has provided guidance and expectations that are much different from those provided during the emergency closings in the spring. This includes the following:
- Students will learn new content and be expected to demonstrate mastery in these courses;
- Student work will be graded and attendance records will be maintained; and
- Throughout the school year, teachers in grades 1-8 will be providing instruction and ensuring mastery for missed content from the spring.
The school division is committed to providing high quality and meaningful learning experiences regardless of the operational status of the divisions’ buildings or reopening phase level. Our goal is to provide high quality and meaningful learning experiences for students – while also prioritizing the health and safety of our students, staff, and families.
Outlined below are the key components of the school division’s instructional delivery model, as outlined by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE). This plan represents months of research, collaboration, planning and analysis and is based on information known to the division as of the date of publication. The first draft of this plan was presented to the School Board and posted on the division Return to School website on July 23. As COVID-19 conditions continue to evolve and additional guidance is received from federal, state and local agencies, division mitigation plans have been, and will continue to be, updated and adjusted as needed.
To ensure that the re-opening plans align to the division’s mission statement and Strategic Plan goals, all work centered on three common principles.
- Safety - The health and wellbeing of students and staff is our top priority
- Instruction - Students receive consistent, high-quality educational experiences
- Engagement - Include stakeholders’ voices in decision-making