Athletics & Extracurricular Activities
Clubs and Extra-Curriculars
When planning large group gatherings, schools should prioritize which groups will meet in person. For large groups schools should consider dividing the desired audience in half and meet on different days or virtually.
Large Gatherings and Assemblies
Governing all large gatherings will be limits set by Executive Order. When not directly participating in practices or contests, care should be taken to maintain a minimum distance of six feet between each individual.
Athletic Directors will coordinate with CHKD trainers to train coaches on proper practice procedures and screening athletes using recommendations from CHKD, VHSL, SMAC.
Pre-Workout/Contest Screening will include staff and student daily temperature checks encouraged at home. Temperature checks will be selective when staff or students are symptomatic or suspected. Suspected students will be checked by a trainer (if trainer available). Either the trainer or coach will communicate with parents as necessary. Athletic staff will communicate if the following symptoms are observed in student-athletes and should be the basis to stay home: fever, cough, shortness of breath, and/or loss of taste or smell.
During workout sessions, athletes will be required to wear a face covering when not engaging in vigorous activities, and when a 6 feet distance cannot be maintained between individuals. Post-Workout will include reminders from coaches about washing hands, washing workout clothes, wearing a face covering, and maintaining social distance as athletes exit campus.
Athletic Facilities Cleaning
Cleaning schedules will be created and implemented for all athletic facilities. Prior to an individual or groups of individuals entering a facility, hard surfaces within that facility will be wiped down and sanitized (chairs, furniture in meeting rooms, locker rooms, weight room equipment, bathrooms, athletic training room tables, etc.). Any equipment such as weight benches, athletic pads, etc. having holes with exposed foam will be covered. Students will be encouraged to shower and wash their workout clothing immediately upon returning to home.
Individuals should wash their hands for a minimum of 20 seconds with warm water and soap before touching any surfaces or participating in workouts. Hand sanitizer will be available to individuals as they transfer from place to place. Weight equipment should be wiped down thoroughly before and after an individual’s use of equipment. Appropriate clothing/shoes should be worn at all times in the weight room to minimize sweat from transmitting onto equipment/surfaces.
Physical Activity and Athletic Equipment:
- There should be no shared athletic towels, clothing or shoes between students.
- Students should wear their own appropriate workout clothing (do not share clothing), and individual clothing/towels should be washed and cleaned after every workout.
- Hand sanitizer should be plentiful at all contests and practices.
- Athletic equipment such as bats, batting helmets and catchers gear should be cleaned between each use.
- Other equipment, such as hockey helmets/pads, wrestling ear guards, football helmets/other pads, lacrosse helmets/pads/gloves/eyewear should be worn by only one individual and not shared.
- Maximum lifts should be limited and power cages should be used for squats and bench presses. Spotters should stand at each end of the bar.
- Continue pre-practice screening as in Phases 1 and 2.
All students shall bring their own water bottle (labeled with name) with adequate water for the activity session. Water bottles must not be shared. Hydration stations (water cows, water trough, water fountains, etc.) should not be utilized.