Health Metric Gateway
On September 15, the CDC released a new Indicators for Dynamic School Decision-Making. This guidance is designed to better aid school leaders in the decision-making process and to help communities better understand the risk of introduction and transmission of COVID-19 in schools. The division now has three guiding tools to consider for resuming in-person learning:
- CDC Indicators for Dynamic School Decision-Making
- Interim VDH Guidance for Mitigation Measures in K12 Settings
- Phase Guidance for Virginia Schools
Beginning the week of October 5, YCSD adopted a new model to track the local and regional health indicators using the new CDC guidance as adopted by the Virginia Department of Health. This model includes two core indicators, the school division’s mitigation strategies implementation, and secondary indicators.
Additionally, the VDH has now created a pandemic metrics dashboard for each locality where the core and secondary indicators are updated daily. The division will continue to consult with Peninsula Health Department staff on a weekly basis to receive a two-week trend line.
Core indicators include one or both measures of community burden AND one self-assessed measure of school implementation of key mitigation strategies.
Measures of community burden
- The number of new cases per 100,000 persons within the last 14 days, AND/OR
- The percentage of RT-PCR tests that are positive during the last 14 days, AND
Implementation of mitigation strategies
The school’s ability to adhere to the following key mitigation strategies
- Consistent and correct use of masks
- Social distancing to the extent possible
- Hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette
- Cleaning and disinfection
- Contact tracing in collaboration with local health department
The following secondary indicators can be used to support the decision making process in local communities but should not be used as the main criteria for determining the risk of disease transmission in schools.
- Percent change in new cases per 100,000 population during the last 7 days compared with the previous 7 days
- Percentage of hospital inpatient beds in the region that are occupied
- Percentage of hospital inpatient beds in the region that are occupied by patients with COVID-19
- Existence of localized community/public setting COVID-19 outbreaks
Expired Model due to CDC updates
Transmission Rate Key Code:
- Decreasing = Green Arrow
- Steady = Yellow Circle
- Increasing = Red Arrow