APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCESS
- Applicants should complete and submit applications by the application deadline (4:00 PM on April 23, 2021). A total of 20 magnet slots are available for rising 6th grade students. The number of 7th & 8th grade slots available for lottery selection varies based upon continuance in the program.
- Applications received by the deadline are then verified and grouped by grade level.Utilizing a lottery system, applications for each grade level will be drawn and offered a place in the Middle School Arts Magnet for the upcoming school year. Once the number of available slots have been filled, the remaining applicants for each grade level will be drawn and placed on the grade level waiting lists in the order in which they were drawn.
- Applications received after the deadline for application will be placed accordingly on the waiting list.
- Slots which become available during the school year due to moves, military transfers, etc. will be filled using the waiting list. Newly selected students will begin participation at the beginning of the next quarter (i.e. if a slot is made available during the second quarter, the newly selected student would begin participating the first day of the third quarter). Slots which become available during the fourth quarter will not be filled until the next school year.
PROGRAM ENROLLMENT & CONTINUANCE
- Once a student is accepted into the magnet program, he/she may remain in the program through 8th grade without reapplying. Continuance in the program is contingent upon achieving a passing score (≥400) on the Reading SOL test and a “C” or higher final grade average in all magnet classes. Repeated behavioral offenses could result in a student's removal from the Magnet program following committee review.
- Once a newly enrolled mSAM student has accepted placement in the program through completion of the “Enrollment Agreement Form” (I-112) or a continuing student has not completed the “Withdrawal from Magnet Program” form (I-113) within two weeks after the last day of school, he/she is expected to remain in the program for the duration of the upcoming school year.
- Students who apply for the magnet and are not selected for participation must reapply if they wish to be considered for the following school year.
- Eighth grade students in the Middle School Arts Magnet wishing to enroll in the School of the Arts (SOA) in 9th grade must apply/audition for the SOA program during their 8th grade year.