Applying for the Magnet
- Applications are available in each elementary and middle school and at the School Board Office, 302 Dare Road.
- A separate application must be submitted for each child (grades 6 - 8) wishing to attend the Middle School Arts Magnet.
- Dates and times for the submission of completed applications for the next school year may be obtained from the Queens Lake Middle School main office. Applications received after the deadline are placed on the waiting list in the order they are received.
- Applications meeting program eligibility are then grouped by grade level for random, lottery-style selection.
- Middle School Arts Magnet slots are available to YCSD students in grades 6 - 8. Students who are non-residents of York County are eligible to apply for the Magnet on a tuition basis.
- Students interested in participating are expected to have good school attendance and citizenship. Additionally, they must have a "B" average or higher in their first semester or most recent semester English class and have achieved a passing score (400 or above) on their most recent English SOL assessment.
Getting To School
- School hours for the Middle School Arts Magnet are the same as the regular school hours for Queens Lake Middle School.
- Parents of out-of-zone students (meaning students zoned for schools other than Queens Lake Middle School) are responsible for arranging transportation to/from either: (1) Queens Lake Middle School or (2) an established Queens Lake Middle School bus stop.
Magnet Courses and Schedule
- Middle School Arts Magnet students take three 60-minute classes (Literary Arts - English, Theatre Arts - elective, and Rhythmic Arts - PE) at the York County School of the Arts (SOA) facility at Bruton High School.
- These students also take four classes (history, math, science, and elective/ Exploratory Wheel or foreign language) at Queens Lake Middle School. Students participating in Middle School Arts Magnet begin their day at Queens Lake Middle School with their first block class and then travel to SOA at BHS for Literary Arts (every day) and Theatre Arts and Rhythmic Arts (alternating days).
- Following the Magnet classes, students are transported back to Queens Lake Middle for lunch and the final block of the day.
Home-School & SOA Participation
- Students who are zoned for middle schools other than Queens Lake and who are offered a place in the Middle School Arts Magnet must enroll at Queens Lake Middle School as their home school if they choose to attend the Middle School Arts Magnet program.
- Participation in the Middle School Arts Magnet does not guarantee acceptance into the York County School of the Arts (SOA) in grade 9. In grade 9, Middle School Arts Magnet students as well as students from other middle schools have the opportunity to apply/audition for admission to SOA.
- Exploration of literature, writing, and language skills; creative and challenging interdisciplinary environment; composition; communication; critical thinking skills; extension of expressive talents beyond the ordinary; literature-based study to enhance skills needed for successful performance in subsequent English courses. (These courses replace middle school Advenced English courses.)
- Study of theatre from perspectives of history, culture, genres, and performance; consideration of the role of theatre arts in contemporary society; participation in theatrical productions and design efforts; distinguishing between the meaningful and the mediocre in the arts. (These courses serve as middle school electives.)
- Participation in Dance as a healthy lifestyle as well as an art form; exploration of creative dance, improvisation, the basics of choreography, and a variety of dance forms; consideration of the diversity of style, historical, and cultural aspects of the rhythmic arts. (These courses replace middle school physical education courses.)
Summer Reading Assignments
The summer reading assignments for Middle School Arts Magnet student are the same as the QLMS Advanced English assignments. Links to these assignments are available on the QLMS home page.